The Federal Polytechnic Bali was established vide the Federal Executive Council approval of Wednesday 14th March, 2007. Following the approval, the Federal Ministry of Education appointed a Ministerial Task Force under the Chairmanship of the immediate past Executive Secretary of the National Board for Technical Education Dr. Nuru Yakubu to ensure a speedy take-off.
The Taraba State Government and the Bali Local Government Authority donated some facilities and structures for the take-off of the Polytechnic among which was a 500 hectare piece of land along Bali-Jalingo Road for the siting of the Permanent Site.
Subsequently an acting Rector was appointed in person of Dr. Saidu Umaru Jen on 15th December, 2008 followed by the constitution and inauguration of the first Governing Council on 10th February, 2009. The Governing Council has Alh. Abubakar Bobboi Jauro as Chairman.
With an Acting Rector and a Governing Council in place, interviews for other Principal Officers was conducted on June, 29th, 2009 and later on February 15th – 19th 2010, interviews for other staff was conducted as part of the mass recruitment exercise to fill other basic positions both Academic and Non Academic.
The Polytechnic commenced academic activities with the Admission of about 1605 students at the certificate level in the following programmes:
» Certificate in Accounts and Audit Technology
» Certificate in Civil Engineering Technology
» Certificate in Building Engineering Technology
» Certificate in Agricultural Technology
» Certificate in Office Technology and Management
» Certificate in Computer Technology
» Remedial Programme in Science and Technology
Following a comprehensive Resource Inspection Visitation by the National Board for Technical Education carried out between 6th – 9th October, 2010, approval was granted to mount National Diploma Programmes in Accountancy and Statistics and in a subsequent accreditation visitation, between 29th June – 2nd July 2011 approval was granted to mount additional National Diploma programmes in Science Laboratory Technology, Office Technology and Management and Computer science in addition to a Pre-National Diploma programme in Science and Technology.
Based on the approval granted for the initial two programmes the polytechnic received its first batch of National Diploma students from the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) who commenced lectures on 3rd January, 2011.
Presently the Polytechnic has a total staff strength of 351 made-up of 110 academic staff and 241 nonacademic (Both Senior and Junior).
In the same vein the total student population rose from the initial 1608 for all programmes on inception to 6218 with total out-turn of 3467 students from 2010 to date, having graduated 3467 with 3162 at Certificate level and 305 at National Diploma level.
Within the period under review and in-spite-of meager receipt of Capital allocations the Polytechnic was able to put in place 13 blocks of 25 classrooms and offices, a Multi-purpose Hall, 500 seat capacity Library complex, 2500 seat capacity Lecture theater, an Auditorium, a Students Centre and a students hostel currently accommodating 328 students with provision for more.
The Polytechnic has in place a functional Clinic that serves both staff and students needs with provision for ante-natal and delivery services and wards. The Polytechnic Clinic is duly registered with the National Insurance Scheme as a Primary Health Care Provider.
In an effort to keep a sound mind in a sound body, the Polytechnic Management has put in place sporting facilities with 2 nos Badminton Courts, a Tennis Court, Basketball and Volleyball Courts and a Football Pitch.
Accordingly a Staff Club meant for relaxation of Senior Staff after a long days work has also been provided with outdoor and indoor games facilities as well as hotel accommodation for visitors.
In the area of ICT, in addition to the Computer Science Department, an ICT Centre that can accommodate 150 students at any time and a 500 seat capacity Lecture Theatre have been provided with an extension meant to provide for 280 students at once.